My Blog List

Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Penicuik 10k

I turned up at Penicuik 10k not really expecting a fast run given the course had been described as pretty hilly but I was eager to finish in front of Scott and give Chloe a run for her money. Ok, I admit a fast time would have been nice. Unfortunately neither materialised but I did manage to run sub-40 again, and in tough conditions this time. The race started with a brief downhill section... I was looking at my watch and thinking a 5.40 first mile might not be the best idea, so I slowed a little, allowing Chloe and Scott to gain maybe 20 metres or so thinking they would come back in the second half. We hit the long ascent and it was a pretty tough hill but adrenalin and the easy pace meant I was never going to struggle this early in the race. My targets in front stayed fairly static and I was still confident I'd gain time on them as the race progressed. At the top of the hill the next few miles were pretty undulating and mostly in to a strong headwind... it was really taking it's toll and at the end, I think the headwind probably cost me about a minute overall. Just before half way I was starting to have my doubts about a sub-40 finish. I was hovering just over the required 6.26 pace and my mindset had turned from race mode to "let's just get this over with" mode. I wasn't in the mood for pushing the pace and I'm not sure I could have done had I wanted to. By this stage, Scott and Chloe were about 30-60 seconds up and there was no chance of catching them - perhaps I should have went with them at the start rather than conserved energy. KM 7 I was just over sub-40 pace and imagined a time of 40.05 or somesuch... given my blase attitude a sprint finish probably wasn't likely. But we turned a corner and there was a long straight, slightly downhill with the wind to our sides, rather than our faces. KM 8 came and I was about 15 seconds under sub-40 pace, with a 6.15 mile. Good stuff. The next mile was then pretty sheltered and downhill, so I was jogging down at 5.40 pace, finishing the mile in 5.58 - sub 40 was in the bag and I wasn't prepared to push the pace much harder. Nearing the finish I started to think I could maybe sneak under 39 minutes but didn't really try too hard to achieve it and cruised in ten seconds or so over. Some chap overtook in the finishing straight with a sprint finish. Normally I'd fight all the way to the line but I don't think the competitive nature even registered. Looking at the positives, the course is really quite a difficult one and the winds hardly made it easier. Sub-40 was fairly simple showing I'm a solid sub-40 10k runner now, whereas I was thinking Grangemouth was only faster due to the flat nature of the course. I'd like to run a similar time at Dechmont Law - although it's only a few weeks after the marathon, my confidence levels should be high and I should be recovered in time. It is a tough course, so under 40 minutes may be a tall ask, but I'm fitter than I was last year when I ran 41.30 without proper pacing. Also, given Scott's run dozens of 10ks over the years he had his tactics spot-on and I was obviously slightly naive. To be 60 seconds behind Chloe was no mean feat... bear in mind she beat me by 4.30 at Alloa half. Long and short, I think the training I've been doing over the past two-three months since Grangemouth has really paid off. It was windier, hillier and tougher on Saturday and I was only thirty seconds slower. Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment