My Blog List
Wednesday, 28 May 2014
Sub 18 Parkrun
Pleased to have broken the 18 minute barrier on Saturday at Edinburgh Parkrun, I knew I was close to doing it around about marathon peak training time but didn't quite have the level of speed necessary to do so... in fact, I probably should have done it when I managed an 18.09 but I set off a bit too quick and slowed towards the end.
I knew on Saturday that I'd be close if the conditions allowed - Saturday's bright, sunny, windless morning turned out to be perfect PB conditions. The few track sessions I'd run recently were all at a decent effort and had honed some speed in my legs too and I knew I was recovered from the marathon.
I jogged a lap of the route beforehand, making sure to get a decent warm up then lined up at the start right on the front row. From the off I was feeling reasonably uncomfortable and couldn't believe at 1k that I was only 1k in! I was trying to keep up with Chloe for much of the run, knowing if she didn't pull too far ahead I was in with a chance of sub-18. She was maybe 4-5 metres in front for much of the run, but gradually pulled some distance on me as the return leg progressed.
I was really pleased with how I handled the last 2k. It hurt. A lot. But I managed to convince my self that sub-18 was still on and knew I was moving well enough to keep to a decent speed. It could be tight but if I stuck with the runner in front I should make it. He pulled a few seconds away from me but, whereas I'd normally fold at this point, giving up and letting the time slip, I kept on pushing and managed to pull back a yard or so on the runner ahead towards the end.
I crossed the line completely exhausted, as you'd expect, but happy to have finished in 17.52 (confirmed later). To think, this time last year I couldn't manage sub-19... I've now knocked a minute off that time and still have some room for improvement. I reckon sub-17 is possible with the right focus in a year or so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment