My Blog List
Wednesday, 28 May 2014
RMR 2013
After a couple of taxing weeks I had little enthusiasm for Red Moss Revolution and was tempted to skip the race altogether.
My right hip had been bothering me sufficiently to try having a bit of a rest period but I think the rest has actually made it worse, rather than better unfortunately. So I reckon I'll start pushing full steam ahead again really, with the objective of fixing my leg properly.
As the race was part of the club championships, I was a bit worried only four folks had signed up! Myself, Kenny and Alan Moffat arrived together, with Jon Barclay arriving later. I was so pleased to see Finlay, Christine and Paul arrive at the start on their bikes, justifying the inclusion of the race! Unfortunately I was still likely to take full marks from the race giving me a bigger lead than I ever wanted... but hey if no one else runs the designated races, is it my fault if I win? Probably, but never mind. All it needs is Colin Partridge to do another race or two and he'll get the prize... or Max to do another three.
Anyway, back to the race. I didn't do much of a warm up, so resolved to jog the first mile or so at an easy pace. I was behind Paul and Finlay at the top of the hill but knew I'd catch them when I started going properly - I passed Finlay just before the open hillside, and Paul shortly afterwards. Going up the hill, I was gently passing people all the way and moving away from them fairly quickly. When it was on to the climb of Hare Hill, I took it easy and only passed a runner or two at the foot of the hill. On the descent we were sent wide but a runner or two skipped this section going more direct towards Black Hill. I stuck to the route, thinking it only fair but then made my own way through the heather at a comfortably fast pace. I to-ed and fro-ed with a Penicuik runner but eventually managed to get past him on the short steep section before Green Cleuch. This was pretty tame this year, what with all the good weather recently, but was still good fun.
I considered running up the next short sharp climb and maybe did for half of it, but sense prevailed and I resolved to power-march upwards taking a wee while at the top to feel back in to a running rhythm. This was probably a sign of a lack of hill running recently.
Back on to the contour of Black Hill I quickly passed a runner and was hot on the heels of several others and moving well - good show despite the lack of rocky terrain recently... a good sign ahead of this weekend's West Highland Way support. I had started to move well and was feeling ok - remembering back to how crap I felt during last year's RMR when I had the cold coming on, and with Mark hot-on-my-heels. I passed a handful of runners on the last few sections along the flat reservoir-edge. I was probably running about sub-40 10k pace... not too fast but not bad considering the hills and slightly rougher ground.
Towards the end I was starting to tire but managed a sprint finish, overtaking a Carnethy runner. I looked at my watch and noticed I'd run 41:40... over a minute PB despite feeling crap beforehand + the lack of motivation + the lack of warm-up. Maybe a month or two ago I'd have gone faster still. All in all, a good run. I'm now officially looking forward to Black Rock 5, which I was also dreading at the start of the week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment